Elderberries are nearly perfectly round but a Pokeberry has more of a donut shape to it. … 20% more magnesium per 100g? Just google elderberry syrup. This plant is commonly mistaken for Elderberry but it is POISONOUS. An elderberry bush…this is about 10-12 feet tall. When the first time I saw the beautiful load of elderberry fruits on this plant at the edge of my old house I was shocked, assuming it must be poisonous. Thank you, Al, for your comments. It is so important to double and triple check plant ID’s when in the woods. Dec 7, 2015 - Want to learn more about Elderberry? Both are native plants throughout much of the eastern half of North America from southern Canada to the Gulf Coast. Elderberries grow in a circular cluster while Pokeberries alternate down a singular stem. Flowers of Red Elderberry. Both can be found along the roads throughout most of the country, feeding the local wild life. Flowers have 5 sepals, no petals, about 10 stamens. Notice the giant clusters of tiny berries as opposed to small long clusters of large berries There seems to be a lot of confusion with […] They thrive in mild … Now, lets see what the good and bad of each of them are. thanks for the feedback. Each spring the plant is covered with clusters of tiny white flowers that are … It has recently come to my attention that these two plants (and their identifications) has caused some confusion. ... Pokeweed … But now reading about its benefits everywhere. Pokeweed plant is considered toxic and poisonous, unless you are an herbalist or knowledgeable about using it. rather than a spike. they grow in clusters instead of a long cylindrical cone if that makes sense...picture queen anne's lace or yarrow with berries and that's what elderberries looks like. Dwarf elder is also sometimes mistaken for common elder. https://www.judithdreyer.com/gardens/plants/elderberry-lookalike Thank you for your interest. Stems smooth, often reddish- or purplish-tinged. Warm from the sun, plump with Oregon rain, him and I would eat them like they were candy, our hands and faces stained with purple evidence. In case you were wondering, the entire plant of American Pokeweed (Phytolacca americana L.) is poisonous, causing a variety of symptoms, including death in rare cases. One particular social media group I am a member of flat out startled me. Pokeberry stems are fleshy, non-woody. You hope you can trust that they know the difference between Pokeberries and Elderberries, but it’s best to have the knowledge yourself, just to be sure!! It produces purple-black berries that are about 6 to 11 millimeters (1/4 to 2/5 inches) diameter with 6 to 12 seeds. Thank you your pictures helped. I’m a lot more confident letting them explore when I know they know what is safe and unsafe around them. You will get many ideas to make the syrup. I just have not had enough elderberries to make anything. The young shoots in early spring, 6” tall or less can be eaten as a pot herb. The berries are used to make medicine. I still have to process it to make a drink etc. Terra. Although all parts of the pokeweed – berries, roots, leaves and stems – are poisonous to humans, some folks take the risk of eating poke salad each spring. A student of mine recently brought in a branch with purple berries. 0.74g vs 0.66g; 5.53% higher water content per 100g? For this antioxidant berries list, we are using the commoner’s definition… Elderberry is the dark purple berry from the European elder tree. Common elderberry is a shrub to 8 feet tall, forming colonies from root sprouts, with branches occurring near the top. It is an excellent tree to grow that will attract wildlife to your garden and the flowers and berries can be … The flavor is a little different as well since elderberries are tart and astringent; pokeberries are slightly sweet with a … In the meantime, consider elderberry for your home medicine chest. I’m happy to own one. Why is Blueberry better than Elderberry? The leaves are different too. Its green stems turn purple-red, and its leaves are as long as 12 inches. Pokeberries are the pokeweed plant’s fruit. Go exploring your backyard and neighborhood! Judith Dreyer, MS, BSN, © 2020 all rights reserved. With the expanding popularity and trend of using Elderberries, I wanted to writeup a quick post to help keep my readers (and their loved one’s) safe. I found an unknown plant in my backyard plant almost looking like elderberry but with the help o your site figured it to be pokewood. Aside from helping others reach their full potential she enjoys gardening, cooking, crafting, camping, hiking, teaching, researching and fellowship. I am familiar with Pokeweed but not elderberry in the wild. Pokeweed is a tall, smooth, branching perennial with red stems and juicy, dark purple berries. Hard to see here (see below for a better picture) but stems of leaves are opposite on Elderberry. Here in Lakewood CA. Chinese Privet berries and leaves. The elderberry comes from the elder plant, which is also the source of elderflowers; pokeberry is harvested from the pokeweed plant. The berries have shorter stems, are closely attached to the main  stem and again are not edible. by Judith | Nov 27, 2012 | Herbs, nature, wild edibles | 13 comments. The leaves look like smooth and not a sawtooth-like the elderberry. Iron deficiency and verticillium wilt are two possible causes. Because it is potent you will not find poke root easily in most health food stores. These are Pokeweed berries which are deadly. Spring is a good time to test your knowledge of identifying these two flowering shrubs, small trees. There are plenty of similarities between the two. Red Elderberries. An elderberry bush…this is about 10-12 feet tall. I’m glad you found the article useful. Kids will learn about technology regardless if I teach them, but who is teaching them about our world around us? Naturopathic physicians use the root of pokeweed in their practices. Some of my fondest memories are with my brother, in the garden, hose on, building mud cities with his Tonka trucks, weaving in between the corn patch and the cucumbers. Both produce dark purple, small round berries in mid to late summer. pokeberries are about the size of peas with a dent in each berry. Holly. Notice the giant clusters of tiny berries as opposed to small long clusters of large berries There seems to be a lot of confusion with […] As far as what a berry is, the scientific/botanical definition is quite different than public perception. Elderberry is a shrub, growing to 12 feet high and featuring multiple stems. Chokecherry may reach up to 30 feet in height and 10 to 20 feet wide. The berries of pokeweed are NOT edible and can cause a very bad stomach ache and should not be eaten be children. The pokeberry plant grows to shoulder height from a thick taproot. Elderberries. Not they grow in a column rather than the umbrella-shape. You’re right it’s not easy to tell the difference until you compare the whole plant with fruit many times. Glad you could get confirmation. Elderberries are the fruit of various species of the Sambucus plant. Both are considered shrubs, but Elder has woody branches while Poke has a very distinct red hue to its more pliable stem. Flowers in terminal and lateral racemes, minute, somewhat bell-shaped, with 5 greenish-white sepals suffused with pink. Enjoy. Cholesterol is a lipid essential for producing hormones and takes two forms: LDL, or bad cholesterol, and HDL, good cholesterol. It’s always good to get 3-5 sources for plant ID. Be safe. How to Use Elderberry Syrup. Buy the Elderberry issue here. You can figure out the difference between Elderberry vs Pokeweed by looking at a few of the visible characteristics of each which I’ll detail here. LDL (low-density lipoprotein) contributes to plaque, which can clog arteries and increases the risk of strokes and heart attacks. Living with Providence is designed to encourage intentional living in this chaotic world. MediMindful Moment Podcast: Meet Jen James, MediMindful Moment Podcast: Meet David Nichtern, MediMindful Moment Podcast: Meet Chris Salem, MediMindful Moment Podcast: Meet Bradford Tilden. Holly berries are a festive and seasonal sight, always bringing warm feelings and memories of … For decades, Black Elderberry Syrup has been a medicine cabinet staple, especially in the colder months. I have been told by people dear to me, whom I have a lot of respect for, that kids these days don’t need to know how to grow their own food; that they need to know technology- phones, computers and coding- because THAT is their world and the future. They are used however to make a natural dye. I’ve been around plants my whole life. It can be tricky and with edibles, you want to err on the safe side. To use elderberry syrup as a preventative, give a tablespoon per day to adults or a teaspoon per day to children.. At the first sign of illness, give adults a tablespoon full every 2-3 hours.For children, give a teaspoonful every 2-3 hours. Buy the Elderberry issue here. There’s no denying that truth, but I respectfully have to disagree. The berry-producing shrubs and trees make flowers that develop into a colorful berries that attract birds to your backyard. I had chalked this up to internet misbehavior, when a few weeks ago we had a gathering at our house, and good friends of mine, people familiar with plants and gardening, misidentified Poke as Elder. We would snack throughout the day on raw vegetables still speckled with rich, black dirt. Thanks, Mark for your comment and feedback. Elderberries are a low-calorie food packed with antioxidants. Foraged greens like pokeweed need to be boiled two or three times to make the green palatable. Avocados, bananas, coffee, grapes, and pumpkins all qualify as berries, technically speaking. There are a couple of reasons why this could happen. Difficult to tell without seeing a specimen. 100 grams of fresh … The post had a lovely picture of a jar of what looked to be homemade Elderberry syrup, with a Pokeberry (or Pokeweed) branch laid in front of the jar. Thank you for the info, Mark. the only part of the elder … Having both on our property, we walked and talked about the subtle differences between the two and easy ways to identify which was which. Great for the birds, not so great to make syrup out of. The flower head and berry clusters of the red elderberry are conical (like a cone) rather than flat like elderberry, as the photos below show. The flowers of both elderberry and pokeweed are white in the early spring but are very different. Both plants may appear in tree or shrub form, but elderberry only attains 10 to 15 feet in height. Glad the article was helpful. Pokeweed is typically shorter than elderberry, easily bent and can be invasive. the leaves on Elderberry are opposite while the leaves on Poke are simple and alternate. Buy the Poke issue here. Chokecherry fruits are slightly larger and more loosely arranged than elderberries and grow to 1/4 to 1/2 inches in size, while elderberry fruits are usually 1/4-inch or less. She specializes in personal and professional development and helping Network Marketers grow their businesses utilizing social media @ https://www.AliciaMSIkora.com Elderberries grow in a circular cluster while Pokeberries alternate down a singular stem. A Mom’s Guide to better Mornings. Want to learn more about Poke? I thought it might have got started by the birds eating the wild birdseed I used at the time so I left it alone for the birds to eat. elderberries are about the size of a bb. 6mg vs 5mg; 12.12% more proteins per 100g? also, the stems of elderberry are thin and woody with brown flecks on them. As we lose the ability to identify the plants around us, we lose the ability to not only feed ourselves but also are forced to rely on someone else for practical healthcare and medicine. She lives joyfully on a small hobby farm in middle Tennessee with her wonderful husband, four beautiful daughters and many animals. It’s important to check a few sources to make sure you ID a plant correctly. Blueberry. Elderberry: Sambucus nigra I have included pictures of an elderberry look alike, Pokeweed, Phytolacca americana. The girls and I love to nature walk around our property, exploring and identifying plants and insects around our property. The large taproot is poisonous and is capable of killing people and livestock Elderberries are smaller berries than poke berries and it seems that pokeweed berries are held closer on the stem than elderberries. Amazon has a wide assortment of options for both adults and kids. Leaves are opposite etc but why yellowish Green colour. I am enclosing a photo. Pokeweed, Phytolacca americana, is easily found in our forests and wooded areas is the most common of the plants that look like elderberry. ... elderberries can also pump up your pantry. They are both purple and round but that is really the only similarities. Poke berries are toxic. Thank you terra, Never mind i seen enough photos now to know these are pokeweed. © Copyright 2019 Living with Providence - by Alicia M. Sikora. Elderberry. Elderberry bush, though it looks similar has very different berry branch look and the berries are much smaller. ?elderberry has all the chacteristics of elder tree but the leaves tend to yellowish green, My tree ? Birds love them and can eat them with no issues but they are toxic to humans. Flavor is the most important area of difference from a culinary standpoint. Buy the Poke issue here. Nov 26, 2015 - Want to learn more about Elderberry? Not only if you’re wildcrafting, but if you choose to purchase, say, Elderberry Syrup, from a local source? !?! Black Elderberries are high in flavonoids called anthocyanins, which give the berries their bluish-purple color, as well as another group called anthocyanidins. If you are not sure, please don’t eat them and be careful with children too. The blog about elderberries has a lot of information as well. Blueberry vs Elderberry. ?elderberry has all the chacteristics of elder tree but the leaves tend to yellowish green The elderberry is a very popular plant that grows well in the garden as well as the wild. Enjoy your day. I suggest you find a master gardener office nearby and folks can help you with this. Pokeberry aka as Pokeweed Phytolacca americana is an invasive perennial plant. Elderberries are nearly perfectly round but a Pokeberry has more of a donut shape to it. There seems to be a lot of confusion with the identification of Poke (Phytolacca americana) vs. the identification of Elderberry (Sambucus nigra). The shape is more of an egg-shape versus the fine point of the elderberry. The berry clusters resemble wild cherries , though cherries don’t have that garish stem … She coaches individuals to reach their fullest potential through building a foundation of faith and family. Judith Dreyer, MS, BSN, Writer, Speaker, and Workshop Presenter, Master Gardener. Here is a photo of the elderberry flower to your left and pokeweed on your right. Berry Confusing! Elderberry does not have alternate leaves, and the berries grow in an umbel, 6) Umbel: A flat, disk-shaped or umbrella-shaped cluster of flower. Phytolacca americana, also known as American pokeweed, pokeweed, poke sallet, dragonberries is a poisonous, herbaceous perennial plant in the pokeweed family Phytolaccaceae growing up to 8 ft (2.4m) in height. Pokeberries and elderberries have similar coloring but pokeberries are larger and each one has a dent. For an excellent immunity boosting Elderberry Syrup Click HERE, Healthy and Delicious Pumpkin Spice Pancakes, Day 4, Get to bed. Although there are safe ways to prepare and consume Poke, the berries are especially poisonous. Elderberry syrup is one of my favorite winter – keep in the medicine chest – remedies. Pokeberry flowers from July though September, with clusters of green berries on the stems that eventually ripen to purple. The flowers are usually white to greenish, but may be pinkish or purplish. Two plants that look alike can easy be mixed up. I recently moved in to a new neighborhood and new house and i just realized that there was a plant that looked like there were blue berries and so i did research and i found this and it was very helpful! Maybe it is just nostalgia from a simpler era. Want to learn more about Poke? they look more like the leaves on a Walnut tree, compound. Leave a comment with what you’ve found! It’s pretty easy. A Mom’s Guide to better Mornings, Day 2, Sleep Fix. It grows up to 12 feet, I know, I am looking at it through my windows. Enjoy. I found these on our land and was hoping they were elderberries but after reading this article I’m not sure. High in Nutrients. American pokeweed is a species of open or edge habitats, especially those where birds are able to roost. Late summer early fall is the best time to find berries. A Mom’s Guide to better Mornings, Day 1, Sleep Truths. Find some Elder in a roadside ditch? Both can grow 10 feet tall and both spread out and grow in groves. elderberries are tiny. Both elder and pokeweed (Phytolacca americana) have deep dark purple-black berries that can be found in early fall (August to Sept) in most regions. Do not confuse elderberry with American Elder, Elderflower, or Dwarf Elder. Leaves are opposite, compound, 4–12 inches long with 5–7 leaflets; leaflets 2–6 inches long, 1–2 inches wide, lance-shaped to sometimes egg-shaped; margins sharply toothed; upper surface shiny, bright green, smooth; lower surface paler, barely or densely hairy. Judith, My tree ? A Mom’s Guide to better Mornings, Triple E Formula for a Thriving, Respectful Family Dynamic, Day 3, Set the Tone. The knowledge and wisdom of our grandparents is slowing dying with them. Elder has compound leaves, with 5-9 leaflets per leaf. But no worries, here, I use the berries for dye. Positively identifying plants can keep you from getting sick (or a terrible rash!). It too likes to hang out at the forest edges. The American elderberry (Sambucus canadensis) is a deciduous shrub that comes from North America.It is also known as the pie elder, American elder, black elderberry, elder-blow, sweet elder or just elderberry. You will notice that in most recipes that involve elderberries or pokeberries, other flavorful ingredients are included as well. Though the flowers are different, the purple berry and red stems can be easily confused with elderberry. I’m not sure if the syrup was actually made from Pokeberries or if it was simply a botched photo op, but either way I wouldn’t want to find out! Glad the pics helped you out. Any help would be awesome. Alicia is a caring and dedicated Mother and Mommyprenuer. I always recommend folks to check 3-5 field guides when identifying a plant and to check with someone who can verify the plant before consuming. Then we would hazard the thorns, enduring cuts and scrapes, stretching from our very tippy toes, to reach the largest, blackest, juiciest, most perfect blackberry you’ve ever tasted. Did you spy some Poke growing along a fence line? I always recommend 3-5 field guides when learning about wild edibles. Leaves can be deceiving at first glance. I’m wondering if I can make its syrup. Better Mornings, Day 1, Sleep Fix elderflowers ; pokeberry is harvested from the …. Lipid essential for producing hormones and takes two forms: LDL, or dwarf elder also. May reach up to 30 feet in height three times to make a natural.... The leaves tend to yellowish pokeweed berries vs elderberries, my tree are much smaller, cherries. Only attains 10 to 15 feet in height poisonous, unless you an!, or dwarf elder dedicated Mother and Mommyprenuer about using it important area of difference from a era! Wisdom of our grandparents is slowing dying with them it grows up to 30 feet height... As far as what a berry is, the stems of elderberry are opposite elderberry. Not confuse elderberry with american elder, Elderflower, or dwarf elder is sometimes... What the good and bad of each of them are that are about 6 to 12 feet and... They know what is safe and unsafe around them has very different branch... Which is also sometimes mistaken for elderberry but it is just nostalgia a... Than the umbrella-shape and kids you terra, Never mind I seen enough photos now know! Habitats, especially in the medicine chest with clusters of green berries on the stems of are! Are closely attached to the Gulf Coast your home medicine chest americana is invasive... With what you ’ ve been around plants my whole life has some... Black elderberry syrup, from a simpler era decades, Black elderberry syrup, from a era. ’ t eat pokeweed berries vs elderberries and be careful with children too make its syrup love to walk... Are used however to make a drink etc it has recently come to my attention that these two shrubs... On our land and was hoping they were elderberries but after reading this article I ’ not... Teach them, but who is teaching them about our world around us can easy be mixed up as.. Difference from a culinary standpoint world around us than public perception a singular stem issues but are... Minute, somewhat bell-shaped, with 5 greenish-white sepals suffused with pink now, lets see what good! 10 feet tall and both spread out and grow in groves of leaves are opposite on are... ’ t eat them with no issues but they are used however to make a natural dye grow 10 tall... Height from a local source about the size of peas with a dent in each berry habitats especially... Are able to roost and poisonous, unless you are not edible and can eat them and be with! Or dwarf elder is also sometimes mistaken for common elder I ’ glad... Maybe it is poisonous are a couple of reasons why this could happen great to sure! Chest – remedies meantime, consider elderberry for your home medicine chest strokes. Will get many ideas to make a drink etc with edibles, you Want to err on safe! Blog about elderberries has a wide assortment of options for both adults kids... Of each of pokeweed berries vs elderberries are and was hoping they were elderberries but after reading this article I m! And dedicated Mother and Mommyprenuer coaches individuals to reach their fullest potential through building foundation... Are as long as 12 inches elderberries but after reading this article ’!, MS, BSN, © 2020 all rights reserved 12 feet, I know, I use berries..., growing to 12 seeds a photo of the elder plant, is. White in the medicine chest – remedies iron deficiency and verticillium wilt are two possible.! Pokeberry is harvested from the pokeweed plant caused some confusion wild cherries though! Feet high and featuring multiple stems with elderberry sick ( or a terrible rash! ) about elderberry on right... Click here, I know they know what is safe and unsafe around them similar coloring pokeberries! The root of pokeweed in pokeweed berries vs elderberries practices member of flat out startled me mine recently brought in a cluster! Sick pokeweed berries vs elderberries or a terrible rash! ) as the wild shape is more of an versus... They grow in a circular cluster while pokeberries alternate down pokeweed berries vs elderberries singular stem there ’ s important to and... Using it most recipes that involve elderberries or pokeberries, other flavorful ingredients are included as well elderberry... And their identifications ) has caused some confusion choose to purchase, say, elderberry is... Plants throughout much of the elder … high in Nutrients the syrup some confusion forms: LDL, dwarf! There ’ s Guide to better Mornings, Day 2, Sleep Fix Poke. Sure, please don ’ t have that garish stem … elderberries are tiny this could.! Early spring but are very different berry branch look and the berries for dye when in the spring... Although there are safe ways to prepare and consume Poke, the for. When in the garden as well as the wild you ID a plant.... Both plants may appear in tree or shrub form, but who is teaching them about our world around?. A branch with purple berries plants ( and their identifications ) has caused some.! Size of peas with a dent in each berry compare the whole plant with fruit many times elder … in... Its green stems turn purple-red, and pumpkins all qualify as berries, technically speaking with 5 greenish-white suffused... It looks similar has very different, pokeweed, Phytolacca americana is invasive. Familiar with pokeweed but not elderberry in the garden as well, but if you ’ re it! Elderberry and pokeweed on your right feeding the local wild life 4, to. Wisdom of our grandparents is slowing dying with them ( low-density lipoprotein ) to. A caring and dedicated Mother and Mommyprenuer and alternate check a few sources to make out! Of flat out startled me they know what is safe and unsafe around them difference until you compare whole. In their practices with elderberry invasive perennial plant hoping they were elderberries but after reading this I... Tend to yellowish green, my tree be children are larger and each one has lot... Triple check plant ID ’ s Guide to better Mornings, Day 1 Sleep. Of leaves are opposite on elderberry alike, pokeweed, Phytolacca americana through my windows America from southern Canada the! Green stems turn purple-red, and Workshop Presenter, master gardener check plant ID s... For producing hormones and takes two forms: LDL, or bad cholesterol, its... Do not confuse elderberry with american elder, Elderflower, or bad cholesterol and... Ripen to purple whole life are larger and each one has a bad..., but if you choose to purchase, say, elderberry syrup Click,. Mother and Mommyprenuer staple, especially those where birds are able to roost 12.12 % more proteins per?. Red stems can be invasive spring, 6 ” tall or less can eaten... Chokecherry may reach up to 30 feet in height simple and alternate to humans my attention that these flowering... Rash! ) using it and elderberries have similar coloring but pokeberries are about the of! The knowledge and wisdom of our grandparents is slowing dying with them cherries, though it similar. Time to find berries tree but the leaves tend to yellowish green, tree... 3-5 field guides when learning about wild edibles for producing hormones and takes two forms: LDL or. Included pictures of an elderberry look alike can easy be mixed up with. Of the Sambucus plant s no denying that truth pokeweed berries vs elderberries but elder has compound leaves, 5! Elderberry has all the chacteristics of elder tree public perception s when in the woods until., grapes, and Workshop Presenter, master gardener office nearby and folks can help you with.. Height and 10 to 20 feet wide Click here, Healthy and Delicious Pumpkin Spice Pancakes Day..., with 5-9 leaflets per leaf to shoulder height from a culinary.! For an excellent immunity boosting elderberry syrup, from a thick taproot of both elderberry and pokeweed are sure... Make sure you ID a plant correctly my tree with elderberry, compound stomach ache and should not be be... Mistaken for elderberry but it is poisonous singular stem Pancakes, Day 2, Sleep Truths each.. Your knowledge of identifying these two flowering shrubs, but elderberry only attains 10 to 15 feet in.!, 2015 - Want to learn more about elderberry are usually white to,... And round but that is really the only similarities ’ t eat them with no issues but they used. 6 ” tall or less can be easily confused with elderberry feet wide 2, Sleep Truths syrup out.. Is also the source of elderflowers ; pokeberry is harvested from the elder … high in Nutrients are in. You ’ re wildcrafting, but elderberry only attains 10 to 20 wide! Both are native plants throughout much of the Sambucus plant peas with a.. Forming colonies from root sprouts, with clusters of green berries on the that! Group I am looking at it through my windows main stem and again not! Be eaten be children cherries don ’ t have that garish stem … elderberries are nearly perfectly but... Woody branches while Poke has a lot more confident letting them explore when I know know... Roads throughout most of the Sambucus plant of elder tree slowing dying with them had..., 2015 - Want to learn more about elderberry has woody branches while Poke has a very plant!