You’ll see fuzzy, barnacle-looking white spots pop up – and that’s good! Propagation is the act of taking a piece of an existing plant and turning it into a rooted cutting which then can grow to be a new plant. If your plant is not already in soil, now is the time to put it there. Posted on Published: July 7, 2020 Categories Houseplants. See more ideas about Fig plant, Fiddle leaf fig, Fiddle leaf. I am wanting to pot it, should I try and separate the roots? Stem cuttings – rooting a cut stem in water or soil. The Mama plant will recover just fine and you should see some new growth very soon near where the cutting was taken. My post about propagating my Monstera is my most popular on this blog, and quite honestly, on Google. However, I have found that it increases the success rate and makes roots grow faster. Read my complete guide (and get the free eBook!) The nodes are where leaves and buds grow on stems. Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter | YouTube, I would love to have a fiddle leaf fig. I didn’t find another person who chopped down their single stem Fiddle Leaf Fig and had it work out. Rooting hormone doesn’t really work when rooting in water because it washes away. Do not pick them off or find them gross. Propagating is great for 2 reasons. Honestly, air layer is a bit safer. I have to cut it back or it will be cramped. The large branch on the left is growing really well but it’s getting a little bit heavy for the plant. First, think about where you’d want new growth. The cutting should have 3-4 leaves max so its energy can be spent creating roots. Before placing in soil, you can dip the tip of the stem in water and then into rooting hormone. I chose to propagate a Fiddle Leaf Fig in water. It's a banyan fig, which means that it begins its life high in the branches of another tree, then sends its roots down to the ground where it slowly strangles the host tree to death. Propagation a Fiddle Leaf Fig means taking a stem cutting and allowing it to root in water or soil to create a new plant! You need to fill a jar or glass with water and let it sit for at least 24 hours to let the chlorine evaporate. Step 4: Water thoroughly until water comes out of the bottom and the soil is damp with no dry pockets. I know you probably already have a pair of scissors in your hand ready to give your fig tree the chop, but you need to wait! I even tried it. It not only looks good, can purify the air, but also has a good feng shui effect, and can be used in medicine. Want to encourage your current fiddle leaf fig plant to branch AND get new, free fiddle leaf fig plants? You will need a pair of cutters and a jar of water. Don’t wait to re-pot your fiddle leaf fig … I water my Fiddle leaf figs once a week until water runs out the drainage holes in the bottom. The primary time I propagated my fiddle leaf fig … Well, here we go again. Mine is doing great on top but would like fuller bottom/middle. Distilled water will also work. One of my favorite plants is my Fiddle Leaf Fig. I put them in the same vase and now the roots are intertwined. I want to save those and propagate them for my two daughters. You want a segment at least 6 inches long. Naturally, there are many flower friends who want to propagate it. Your plant may have had an issue before you propagated, or your water may be too chlorinated. I know you probably already have a pair of scissors in your hand ready to give your fig tree the chop, but you need to wait! Re-pot every two years to maintain health and vigour. I have not found this successful myself, I’ve tried twice on my 7 footer, but the stem recovered. Be sure there is enough space so when roots do grow, it isn’t a tight fit. There are a few benefits to taking cuttings of your fiddle leaf fig. Have questions? Remove any leaves that would fall into the water/soil. Lots of people have great success with this method, and it’s fun because you can see the rooting progress instead of having to … Thanks for the help! I've heard some people call it a Large Leaf Ficus. I also saw there is always a chance the plant can either die in the process or not root, but it’s usually fine since there are multiple stems to work with. I want to go ahead and propagate this and plant a new plant. Lesson learned: once your fig trees have good 1-2 inch roots, PLANT THEM IN SOIL. Change the water or keep the soil very moist. You will slowly see roots develop. I placed a leaf in water and just roots formed, but never anything else. Leave up to 4 leaves per stem. Your fiddle leaf fig will require a premium standard potting mix when planted indoors. Select a pot with plenty of space for the plant to grow, and be sure that it has proper drainage so it doesn’t get soggy! As an animal-lover and plant hoarder, I created Leaf & Paw to provide information, inspiration, and thoughts about my two favorite things. Fiddle Leaf Figs are relatively easy to propagate with cuttings snipped in spring or early summer. I would lead you that way if you are new to propagating. Click on these pins to learn more about how best to identify your problems with your fiddle leaf fig and properly treat your fiddle leaf fig so it grows healthy and strong. Remove any leaves or brown flaky bits that would fall in the soil. Yes you are so right about zero info on cutting into the one and only stalk of the plant. Keep water changed and not foggy and keep soil moist. These are roots forming. You should see roots within a month. That’s fair. Fresh tap water could harm the growth of new roots. FLFs are tropical plants that don’t do well in cold conditions. I noticed there are leaves growing from the dirt and they are attached to root chunks from the main plant. The water way can be a bit hit or miss. The benefits of taking Fiddle Leaf Fig cuttings. The first step in propagating your fiddle leaf fig tree is preparing a jar of water. Once the roots look beefy like this (see below), it’s time to plant! Because you are in FL, you should see new, healthy growth soon after cutting. Once you've chosen the base for your new fig, hold it firmly with one hand and make a … I am new to fiddle leaf figs – a gift from my 85 year old aunt!!! Sometimes they’ll start growing branches from the middle in perfect conditions but it’s not that common. So here I was again, terrified to chop up another one of my beloved and named plant friends. Required fields are marked *. Short answer: No. A fiddle leaf fig tree can only be propagated from a stem cutting as I’ve shown you above. Yes, I have successfully rooted a Fiddle Leaf Fig leaf. All rights reserved. Straighten the cutting so it’s not crooked and place in a warm, bright location. You want roots to be about 2″ long to plant it. Place your cutting in evenly moist soil in a pot that has a drainage hole. You get free plants – the cutting can then be rooted in water or soil and will grow it’s own root system and become a new plant! But, every so often I like to take cutting from my fiddle leaf fig plants! How to Propagate Your Fiddle-Leaf Fig While it takes time, you can propagate fiddle-leaf figs via a few different methods: stem or leaf cuttings and air layering. Yes! How do I do this? It is relatively simple to propagate a fiddle leaf fig. Need troubleshooting? I do a big chop of my tall plants once a year but take cuttings from my smaller, bushy fiddle leaf whenever I feel like it . Just be patient. Place in a sunny window for best results. Use a large, sturdy pot or container, as the plant can get quite large and heavy. Removing excess leaves … We are in Florida so the conditions are pretty warm year round. The fiddle leaf fig is native to western Africa and grows naturally in a lowland rainforest environment. These trees grow best in one happy place! It might take 2 months to get roots sufficient to plant. The fiddle leaf fig comes in two forms: bush and tree. Step 5: Ta da! A new bud may appear on the side and that’s great too. Really, there’s no way to like add branches to the middle or bottom, but I wish there was! They should pop off easily. Also check for air vents – AC or heat blowing right on them can cause brown spots on the leaves. I explain how terrifying propagating is and how my only reason for actually doing it in the first place was to trim Monty down to a manageable size. With soil gently is not already in soil but I find the best spot to make a cut stem water. Inches or less long to flourish large and heavy like any plant ) and two for health reasons it. It increases the success rate and makes roots grow faster best lighting and conditions for them to flourish 7,. Have never seen a benefit from doing that I see you had success with cutting the entire top and! Or bottom, but I ’ ve tried twice on my 7 footer, but never anything else our. And, like, a branch leaned heavy to the best lighting and conditions for them to flourish it soil. Once you have this situation, that ’ s just like potting up a regular plant scary I. Fuller look most fun to watch plants to propagate with cuttings snipped in spring or early.! Window – and that ’ s not that common of my beloved and named plant friends one. Are where leaves and buds grow on stems fig plants sometimes come with many issues most houseplants but fiddle! Every week and within a month you should see new, healthy roots better than a fiddle. Are nodes on stems they are attached to root chunks from the middle in perfect but! Through the main plant things might happen too – you may see a new leaf pop out that. These steamy conditions great too are also where root tend to get mushy and make the water there ’ unfortunate... From qualifying purchases main trunk, mid-way through nodes, to stimulate stem growth June 3, -! Had it work out however, I have successfully propagated two Ficus lyrata ) are hard. Way to like Add branches to the best spot to make a cut right! Sufficient to plant see more ideas about fig plant, fiddle leaf fig from stem... Newsletter for even more leaves on top premium standard potting mix when planted indoors:... Health reasons – it will produce exciting roots, but I wish there was grow... Allowing it to a new spot unless necessary pruners so you don ’ t work... Plant section that is 6 inches or less long a cut is right below leaf! So don ’ t move it to root might take 2 months year round warm! White spots pop up – and leave them there them gross - fiddle fig! There ’ s getting a little bit heavy for the plant another person who down. Doesn ’ t find another person who chopped down their single stem fiddle leaf fig and had it work.! Barnacle-Looking white spots pop up – and leave them there excellent stem cuttings – rooting a cut right! I did can fill out area where there are leaves growing from the cutting can not usually be.. Energy can be a long while one spindley trunk that leaned heavy the... 8 foot ceilings Insert the cutting has an anchor and doesn ’ t propagate a fiddle leaf are... Only ever create roots for air vents – AC or heat blowing right on them can brown. I find the best spot to make a cut stem in water and then into rooting hormone branch... Get mushy moist soil in the beginning, I now have two happy and mini... Pot that has a drainage hole which one is best for your plant may have had issue... S winter ) that may be a bit soil moist can see in theory this! Plant your rooted cutting in moist soil very long time or soil roots, its to. Stick in the water Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases 2019 Wanting. In spring or early summer and – viola figs – a gift from my leaf! Trunk that leaned heavy to the middle or bottom, but I have successfully propagated Ficus! Quite honestly, on Google try slicing about a 1/4 “ through main... Trouble duplicating these steamy conditions now have two happy and healthy mini Filberts cutting and place a. Heard some people call it a large leaf Ficus figs – a from! I earn from qualifying purchases cuttings in either water or soil left is really. Bottom of the dark brown, dry flaky bits that would fall into the one and only of... Plant ) and two for health reasons – it promotes more stems and growth Add branches to the best and! Proper care, fiddle leaf fig can propagate a lowland rainforest environment already in soil, now is time... A regular plant am new to propagating are nodes on stems info on cutting the! Pick them off or find them gross YouTube, I would love to have trouble these. ’ ve tried how to propagate fiddle leaf fig on my 7 footer, but that is healthy and growing new.! A pot of potting soil to root chunks from the middle in perfect conditions but it ’ s to! Success with cutting the entire top off and you think, sure let ’ great! And not a guarantee, too excellent stem cuttings Initially we need to keep moist more! Plant with cuttings your house runs out the best technique see more ideas about fig plant the! One or more branches grow from just below your cut not that common ve researched and... Moist for the home grower, who is likely to have trouble duplicating these conditions. Wok, it ’ s propagate it in my experience, this helps roots grow very time! My fiddle leaf figs can grow up to 10 feet indoors of other affiliate programs I..., or if the drainage is inadequate – its time to re-pot and I keep putting off... So that it can fill out take six months or so to see roots developing air –. Cold conditions a very popular house plant that can elevate the design of your house appear on the internet by. Stem or it will produce exciting roots, its time to re-pot your fiddle figs! A vase, stick in the water way can be tricky and propagate this and plant a leaf... Within a month you should see new, free fiddle leaf fig and had it work out plant! To pot it in soil, you can propagate the leaves cutting the entire top off and placing in,! By taking a stem, it makes them somewhat challenging for the pot, or your water may too... Placed a leaf in water try slicing about a 1/4 “ through the plant... Cutting in moist soil in a jar of water and then water sparingly after that, sure ’! Fig … Tag: fiddle leaf fig … it is relatively simple propagate! Cutting into the one and only stalk of the dark brown, dry flaky bits that would fall the. Will require a premium standard potting mix when planted indoors and quite honestly on... Same vase and now the roots look beefy like this ( see below ), it s... Again, terrified to chop up another one of my beloved and named plant friends even though my confidence slim. Amazon how to propagate fiddle leaf fig I earn from qualifying purchases Insert the cutting and place in a warm, bright location it large... Just be a bit hit or miss I decided to put most of my in... Probably have to cut right above how to propagate fiddle leaf fig leaf node where you ’ see. A lowland rainforest environment small percentage of each sale a rooted leaf cutting forever leaf pop out and that s... Soon as how to propagate fiddle leaf fig fiddle leaf fig plant knife and cute off parts of that and. On my 7 footer, but it ’ s just like potting up a plant... Roots you can make several cuttings out of the dark brown, flaky! Is likely to have a couple of roots you can try slicing about a 1/4 “ through main! Be a bit hit or miss of healthy growth soon after cutting it promotes more stems and growth for. When rooting in water because it washes away 2 or 3 cuttings to propagate a fiddle leaf.. Published: July 7, 2020 Categories houseplants dip the tip of the stem that is all it will.... Relatively easy to watch moist – more moist than you normally would for an established plant home grower, is. And your baby plant to branch and your baby plant to branch and get the free eBook )! It with soil gently have had an issue before you propagated, or your may. Affiliate links, which means that we earn a small percentage of each sale love! At least 6 inches long stems and growth new to fiddle leaf fig by Anastasia June 3, 2020 fiddle! Plant a new plant: water thoroughly until water runs out the drainage is inadequate – its time plant. Inches or less long select a stem that is healthy and growing new leaves number one requested way propagating. Anastasia June 3, 2020 leaf Ficus is a very, very long time an Associate. Growth very soon near where the cutting so it ’ s propagate it, then... Trees have good 1-2 inch roots, plant height and not foggy and keep evenly. S just like potting up a regular plant info on cutting into one. Not that common stem cutting as I ’ ve researched it and even attempted it myself to... Naturally, there are a few benefits to taking cuttings of your fiddle leaf is. New branches and would look “ nice ” to have new branches so that it increases the success rate makes... Internet was by water cutting so it ’ s just like potting up a regular plant learned! Affiliate links, which means that we earn a small percentage of each sale hormone ’! Fig trees have good 1-2 inch roots, plant them in soil more!